Learn how to make your business writing clear, accurate and engaging, which will help you get the outcome you want.
Effective business writing helps you achieve results and create a professional image.
In this course, you'll learn writing strategies and processes that you can apply to various business documents, including:
- short reports.
After completing this course, you'll be able to:
- tailor your writing to a diverse range of audiences
- overcome ‘writers block’
- craft strong, clear writing based on best-practice principles.
- Tailor your message to a specific audience
- Overcome ‘writers block’
- Structure your information to flow logically and clearly
- Write with clarity and impact using best-practice, modern writing conventions
- Create powerful paragraphs to drive clarity
- Craft strong sentences, selecting words for accuracy and tone
- Develop effective strategies for the ‘final check’
Is this course for you?
This course suits engineers at all levels who are looking to improve their written communication skills. It's also suitable for related professionals, including:
- customer service
- support staff.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Topics we'll cover
Analyse your audience and purpose
- Write easily understood letters and emails that are tailored to your readers
- Adopt the appropriate tone in your writing, from emails to formal reports
Plan and organise relevant information
- Use practical techniques to organise and structure information
Write clearly and with impact
- Use strategies such as active voice to write with an appropriate tone
- Use the principles of plain English to write with accuracy and clarity
- Construct strong sentences and paragraphs
- Use headings and lists effectively
- Adopt effective strategies and guidelines for the final quality check
- Use current standards to format information
Review and proofread for quality
- Review sample documents, including reports, tenders, specifications, correspondence or emails
- Apply professional editing and proofreading techniques
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Christine Misso has a strong academic background in English language and literature, with extensive experience as a trainer, freelance editor and writer.
She has more than 10 years’ experience in education and training in both the government and corporate sectors. She also provides English-language coaching to technical professionals.
Christine has delivered the Writing Winning Technical Documents course for EEA for over 13 years in Australia and overseas.
She has a Bachelor of Arts and Diploma of Education.
Valued for her knowledge, and clear and engaging style, Christine’s feedback from clients and course participants is universally positive and enthusiastic.
Jeanette Learmont specialises in written communication skills for technical experts, from senior managers to new recruits.
Jeanette's training approach teaches participants to write technical and business documents with clarity, power and impact.
She has a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) and Master of Education (Hons), and is the Director of Wordsworth Effective Communications Pty Ltd.