If bringing on new clients and managing projects is part of your role, this workshop is for you. You’ll learn to become a consultant of choice, a trusted advisor and someone your clients will actively seek to work with time and time again.
This workshop dives into what it means to be an effective engineering consultant at every stage of the project process - from securing work, to managing complex projects and teams, through to project closure. The content is applicable, practical, and geared to the success of both employees and independent consultants.
No matter the stage of your consulting career, you’ll benefit from learning:
- The essential skills needed as a consulting engineer
- The planning skills needed to deliver your project successfully
- The skills needed to communicate effectively in the consulting world
- The seven ways to motivate people
- The risks and rewards of consultancy
17 August - 18 August
17 November - 18 November
This workshop will run during the following days:
17 - 18 August 2022, 9:00am - 1:00pm AEST
17 - 18 November 2022, 9:00am - 1:00pm AEDT
Registration closes three business days before each workshop.
- The role and responsibilities of a consulting engineer
- People management skills of motivation, delegation and communication
- Practice critical planning using a Project Plan
- Methods for improving your profit margins
- Methods for building and strengthening client relationships
- Methods for securing new projects
- Quality management
- Risk management
- Resource and scope management
- Time and schedule management
Is this course for you?
Both in-house and independent engineers or project managers can apply the learnings, across any engineering discipline.
The prerequisite for this course is a Bachelor degree. It is best suited to professionals with 5-8 years of work experience.
Topics we'll cover
- Introduction to the role and responsibilities of a consulting engineer
- Introduction to essential skills
- Business development and managing relationships
- Project stages
- Go /No Go assessment
- Bidding for new work
- Design and project management
- Quality management
- Effective communication
- Motivating others
- Project monitoring & control (Work Breakdown Structure and Earned Value Assessments)
- Risk assessment
- Time management (Schedule)
- 4 types of tasks
- Delegating work
- Creating an engaged team
- Managing scope
- Change management
- Chairing meeting
- Be a closer
- Personal planning session
Moein Varaei is the Principal Consultant at Global Empowering Solutions. He has over 30 years of experience in consultancy and project management across road, wet and dry utilities, airport infrastructure, bridges, tunnels and metro. Having coordinated international teams all working towards the same project, Moein loves to help teams understand motivation, relationship management skills and effective planning.
Moein is a Chartered engineer and a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland. In his current role, he provides training, coaching, advisory and policy writing services to other engineering consultants and struggling project teams.