For engineers, being competent in dealing with ethical issues is essential for many reasons not the least of which is the safety and preservation of human life.
However, nothing in the modern world is simple and engineers are constantly required to make or advise on decisions which may conflict with other priorities. In dealing effectively with ethical issues, a professional engineer must apply an informed judgement based on values, facts and within an established framework.
This course aims to develop your ability to understand and articulate your ethical perspective as an engineer. You'll learn how to:
- recognise unethical situations,
- understand ethical decision making practices and apply them to the situation, and
- engage in ethical reflective practices.
Upon completion, you'll be able to respond to ethical dilemmas in your area of practice and further promote ethical practices within your team and organisation.
This workshop will run during the following times:
9:00am - 12:00pm AEDT, 9 March 2022
Registration closes three business days before each workshop.
- Have knowledge of and ability to articulate, your own ethical perspective
- Recognise an unethical situation; take appropriate action
- Apply ethical decision making
- Appraise and respond appropriately to ethical dilemmas in your practice area
- Engage in ethical reflective practice
Is this course for you?
This course suits engineers with two to five years’ experience or those preparing to re-enter the engineering workforce.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- What is ethics?
- Distinguishing ethical and legal obligations
- Understanding your own ethical perspective
- Identify and analyse ethical dilemmas
- A framework for ethical decision making
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
1. Deal with ethical issues
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Nick Stanton is a leader in engineering and management, and an accomplished writer and speaker. A Chartered Professional Engineer, Nick delivers training courses on engineering, communications, ethics, safety, leadership and management.
During his award-winning 40-year career as a senior military executive in the defence force, he built and led teams to deliver complex programs and projects—in Australia and overseas.
Nick shares his extensive engineering knowledge during his innovative training courses.