The pandemic has changed the way members of the engineering team work and conduct business by having them use video meetings. But not everyone intuitively has the skills to present effectively on camera.
It is important for engineers to have good online presentation skills to come across confidently and professionally to their clients and stakeholders in their many online meeting such as:
- Management/resources meetings
- Design coordination meetings
- Stakeholder meetings
- Project progress meetings, and
- Closeout/lessons learnt meetings.
This course is designed to help engineers and related workers become more confident, professional and persuasive on video business meetings such as Zoom.
During this course, you'll improve skills in two areas:
- Practical on-camera tips and skills to help you present and speak with insight and confidence, and
- Organising your thoughts and ideas so you are able to play a leadership role in your meetings and help achieve your organisation’s business objectives more effectively.
You’ll also have the opportunity in the workshops to make an online presentation and receive feedback to help you polish it and achieve your goals.
1 March - 8 March
7 June - 14 June
This workshop will run during the following times:
1 - 8 March 2022
1, 4 and 8 March, 10:30am - 12:30pm AEDT
7 - 14 June 2022
7, 10 and 14 June, 10:30am - 12:30pm AEST
Registration closes three business days before each workshop.
After completing this workshop, participants will have more confidence in presenting on camera/in video meetings and will know how to:
- Come across in video meetings in a more polished and professional way to engineering clients and colleagues and stakeholders
- Take part more effectively and know how to take the lead in video meetings as required
- Better pitch ideas to engineering clients and colleagues and achieve their organisation’s desired business outcomes, and
- Enhance their professional reputation and that of their firm.
Is this course for you?
This workshop was developed for Graduate Engineers and Mid-career Engineers who use video meetings are part of their every day work and would like to present more professionally/effectively in their dealings with members of their engineering teams, clients and stakeholders.
Topics we'll cover
How to look, sound and come across more professionally on camera
- Practical tips on lighting, sound and on-camera set-ups
- Developing confidence on camera and speaking in front of others
How to better pitch ideas to engineering clients and colleagues and be more professional/persuasive
- Listening/asking questions
- How to better organise your thoughts to make your points succinctly
- How to be more persuasive and strategic
Practical tips for leading and chairing effective video meetings
- How to develop a better understanding of people’s points of view and what they want
- How to give constructive feedback in a group online setting
- How to guide discussions and be more inclusive.
This course will also help build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies that stress Obligation to the Community and Value in the Community: *
5. Engage with the relevant community and stakeholders
Learn more about Chartered Status.
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Tony Malkovic is an award-winning former television news and current affairs reporter/producer.
He is also an experienced presenter/facilitator who, for more than a decade, has worked with engineers at all levels in Australia and New Zealand to help them tell their stories and improve their communication skills in their day-to-day interactions with clients, colleagues and stakeholders.
He can give you practical, insider tips on how to look, sound and present more professionally and persuasively on camera and get your messages across effectively. He runs his own communications and media consultancy, Hyde Park Media.