Learn to write with clarity and influence to engage your audience, convey a professional image, and get the results you want.
If you write or edit reports, tenders or other business documents as part of your role, this course will give you the practical tools you need to improve your writing.
In this course, you'll learn:
- techniques for planning and executing great business writing
- how to make your business communications consistent
- to write with clarity and accuracy
- how to avoid common mistakes
- proofreading tips for readability and dynamic writing.
You'll also gain confidence in your writing abilities.
- Tailor your message to a specific audience
- Overcome ‘writers block’
- Structure your information to flow logically and clearly
- Write with clarity and impact using best-practice, modern writing conventions
- Create powerful paragraphs to drive clarity
- Craft strong sentences, selecting words for accuracy and tone
- Develop effective strategies for the ‘final check’
Is this course for you?
This course suits engineers or other professionals who have high-level technical qualifications but who lack confidence in writing.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Topics we'll cover
Analyse your audience and purpose
- Tailor your writing to the different readers of your business documents
- Know how to create the appropriate tone and style for your readers
Plan and organise your information
- Apply strategies and tactics for planning your business document
- Discuss and analyse the structure within your own documents
- Use signposts to highlight the flow of information in business documents
Write with clarity and impact
- Review and practise plain English strategies within a range of business documents
- Use powerful language that includes purposeful paragraphs and strong sentences
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
2. Practise competently
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Christine Misso has a strong academic background in English language and literature, with extensive experience as a trainer, freelance editor and writer.
She has more than 10 years’ experience in education and training in both the government and corporate sectors. She also provides English-language coaching to technical professionals.
Christine has delivered the Writing Winning Technical Documents course for EEA for over 13 years in Australia and overseas.
She has a Bachelor of Arts and Diploma of Education.
Valued for her knowledge, and clear and engaging style, Christine’s feedback from clients and course participants is universally positive and enthusiastic.
Jeanette Learmont specialises in written communication skills for technical experts, from senior managers to new recruits.
Jeanette's training approach teaches participants to write technical and business documents with clarity, power and impact.
She has a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) and Master of Education (Hons), and is the Director of Wordsworth Effective Communications Pty Ltd.