If you work in engineering, project management, contract administration or procurement, you'll often use contracts. Understanding them is vital to prevent costly mistakes.
This is an introductory-level course. It covers:
- the basic elements of contracting
- the nature of binding promises
- the Australian legal system and related law
- the operational aspects of contracts.
After completing this course, you'll:
- understand the law and how it relates to contracts
- be able to interpret contracts at a basic level
- understand how the proper management of contracts assists project delivery.
If you're new to legal studies, this course provides a thorough introduction to contracts. If you've studied or worked in contracts before, it's an excellent refresher.
8 November - 15 November
This course will run on 8 and 15 November 2021 at 9:00am - 12:30pm AEDT.
Registration for this course will close at 11:59pm AEDT on Wednesday 3 November.
- Gain a big picture view of the contract lifecycle
- Be able to interpret contracts at a basic level
- Get an overview of how Australian law works
- See what happens during pre-contract negotiations
- Understand contract set-up, layout, elements and principles
- Be aware of related areas of law
- Comprehend how a properly managed contract helps project delivery
- Understand the basics of negotiation and dispute resolution
Is this course for you?
This course suits graduate and junior engineers and related professionals with up to three years of work experience.
It's also valuable for people involved in drafting or delivering projects under a contract, including:
- contract administrators
- contract managers
- finance officers
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Topics we'll cover
The contract lifecycle
- The nature of law in Australia, including contract law
- Pre-contract negotiations
- Contract set-up and layout
- Elements of a binding agreement
- Overarching contract principles
- Related areas of law - competition law and negligence
- Introduction to negotiation and dispute resolution
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
7. Meet legal and regulatory requirements
10. Taking Action
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Margaret Andre specialises in contract law and is a senior lawyer with McCarthy Commercial and Construction Lawyers.
She has expertise in the building and construction sector, where she has advised and represented a wide range of parties on their rights, obligations and risk exposure under a contract. She has experience in dispute resolution of contract claims through mediation, adjudication, arbitration and court processes.
Margaret has extensive experience as an educator and aims to create an enthusiastic, collaborative learning environment by building on the skills and experience of course participants.
Sean McCarthy is a solicitor with extensive experience as a construction and general contracts advisor. He is also the Director of McCarthy Commercial and Construction Lawyers.
Sean worked in the building and construction industry for many years before completing his Master of Juris Doctor and transitioning to legal practice. As a lawyer, Sean has advised both government and private sector clients on a host of major projects and contract claims.
Sean is an active educator on construction matters. As a qualified training professional and experienced lawyer, he brings an enthusiastic and participative approach to his teaching.
The course kept the reading material really relevant and concise. The discussion was really engaging and made the comprehension of the complicated topics really easy. The group involvement was really good.
Real daily practical tips and industry experience provided.
Sean's teaching style was excellent - great mix of formal lecture but importantly working through the material like a tutorial (which is how I best learn). Sean was also more than happy to tailor the content to our questions and to make excellent examples to real life engineering scenarios.