A large part of leadership is coaching and engaging others. Your leadership style directly affects your team's culture, engagement and performance. Learn how to become an effective and confident leader who will inspire your team.
In this course, you'll cover practical solutions for leading and managing people in a diverse workplace. You will gain a clear understanding of the difference between leadership and management and how you can show up as a leader.
You'll acquire best-practice strategies for improving your team's performance, including motivating your staff, providing actionable feedback and improvement guidance.
Using the GROW coaching model, you'll get the chance to practise effective coaching skills in a safe environment.
By the end of the course, you will have gained new coaching skills, acquired two different feedback techniques, and you will be more confident guiding your team to success.
This course will run on the following dates:
6 December 2023, 1pm – 4:30pm AEDT
5 March 2024, 10am – 1:30pm AEDT
4 June 2024, 1pm – 4:30pm AEST
6 September 2024, 10am – 1:30pm AEST
Registrations close three business days before the start of each session.
- The differences between leadership and management
- The impact of a leader on a team's culture, and how to take responsibility for the impact your leadership has on others
- How to become more confident as a leader, not just a manager
- Core leadership practices, including engagement, giving feedback, coaching and developing others
- Coaching skills
- Feedback skills using the proven models, and how to adapt feedback for specific situations
Is this course for you?
This course is suitable for new and experienced frontline and mid-level managers who want to improve their interactions with staff, management, clients and colleagues.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- The role of the leader
- What is leadership and management
- The leadership pipeline - the leaders journey from team leader to middle to executive
- The key elements of employee engagement and the leaders role
- Foundational leadership skills of growing and developing others - coaching and feedback
- Skills practice in coaching using the GROW model
- Skills practice in giving feedback using two different models
- Understanding 'above the line' behaviours and how to stay above the line as a leader
- Your ongoing professional development as a leader
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
2. Practise competently
3. Responsibility for engineering activities
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Alison Jardie is a professional facilitator and coach, psychologist, and leadership expert.
She has more than 20 years’ experience working with groups and individuals in a learning and development context. This includes work across government and the private sector.
Alison has been responsible for leading large teams and organisational interventions. She has also designed and implemented successful, innovative and award-winning developmental programs.
Alison has a passion for people development. She focuses on implementing practical solutions and experiential learning activities that deliver measurable results.
Josephine Schol is a certified coach and course facilitator with experience working with clients across the leadership spectrum. She has deep insights into the individual challenges and opportunities after supporting a wide range of industries including healthcare, technology, engineering, finance, construction transport, entertainment and automotive.
Since 2001, Josephine has been a leader of teams, projects and education programs. She supports individual growth by encouraging bigger picture thinking that assists with achieving their goals.
Josephine holds a Bachelor of Psychological Science, a Bachelor of International Business, a Graduate Diploma of Indonesian Language, and is currently completing a Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology) (Honours). She holds a Diploma of Project Management and is a certified MSP (Managing Successful Programs) Practitioner.
The course was very well presented and engagement with participants was great. It was even better to hear others experience during the course in such short time.
Course material was relevant, tangible for day-to-day implementation. Interesting facts and statistics presented. Good work-shopping exercises and interaction.
I thoroughly enjoy having Alison as an instructor. It far exceed my expectation