Across all sectors of engineering, including oil and gas, mining, utilities, defence and manufacturing, the design of systems and equipment is becoming more complex. Failures of these assets are also becoming more acute and complex, requiring engineers to understand that the root cause (or causes) do not just stop at the the physical reason why assets fail. Engineers must also examine the human and systemic root causes that may lead up to the physical failure.
This course will introduce you Root Cause Analysis (RCA) from the simple 'Five Why’s approach', building up to the comprehensive logic tree analysis approach. You'll also understand the prerequisites, and the 'Pros and Cons' of each technique.
By the end of this course, you'll be able to understand which form of RCA is adequate to address the failure of a process, equipment or system, and use the appropriate RCA process to identify then rectify or eliminate that failure.
22 June - 23 June
This workshop will run during the following times:
22 - 23 June 2022, 9:30am - 1:30pm AEST
Registration closes three business days before each workshop.
We can customise this course for groups of six or more.
You choose the time, place, duration and format.
Find out how we can help you and your team by clicking on the button below to request a quote or calling us directly on +61 3 9321 1700.
- Learn and understand why and when to use Root Cause Analysis
- Learn and understand why verified data is so important
- Learn the 5 Whys RCA Process
- Learn the Cause Mapping RCA Process
- Learn the Fishbone Analysis Process
- Learn the Logic Tree Process
- Understand the benefits of using a team approach as opposed to one person performing RCA
- Learn and understand when to use the various forms of RCA
- Learn and understand the various benefits of each form of Root Cause Analysis
Is this course for you?
This course is relevant to anyone involved in asset management, production and operations.
- Reliability engineers
- Process engineers
- Maintenance engineers
- Operations Personnel
- Supervisory & Management
- Asset management professionals
- Maintenance supervisors
- Asset Managers
- Production Line Supervisors and Managers
- Facility Engineers
- Transport and Infrastructure Engineers. Supervisors and Managers
- HSE Q personnel & Managers
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Topics we'll cover
Root Cause Analysis
- What is Root Cause Analysis?
Problems to solve
- Sporadic events
- Chronic events
Why and when to consider RCA
Data, data & more data
- What kind of data
- Why is data verification so important?
RCA is a team effort
RCA techniques and when they should be used
- 5 Whys - Basic methodology &n Cause Analysis
- Fish Bone Analysis
- Logic Tree Analysis
Managing the Results from the RCA Study.
Alastair Krebs has + 35 years’ experience in asset management, maintenance, integrity, risk and reliability management. He has worked at a senior level, for major companies across many industries, typically hydrocarbon exploration, supply and processing, electrical power generation, mining resources, public utilities, and infrastructure.
He is experienced in development and implementation of:
- Asset maintenance and integrity management systems.
- Safety case documents for offshore oil and gas installations.
- Specification and implementation of computerised maintenance management systems.
He regularly presents at keynote technical seminars worldwide on topics such as reliability-centred maintenance, reliability and benchmarking, and the adaptive process for maintenance and integrity.