This online course helps you learn how to manage risks in engineering work, and understand how to develop these skills to obtain the Risk Management micro-credential.
You'll explore better practice in risk management, and master the techniques required to manage risk for projects and operational processes, and in the workplace.
You'll learn how to:
- critique risk tools to decide on the best one for your situation
- reduce risk by applying practical risk mitigation strategies
- improve risk processes and frameworks in the workplace
- communicate more effectively with stakeholders about risk
We'll refer to these standards in the course, which you'll ideally have access to in your workplace:
- ISO 31000:2018 Risk Management - Guidelines
- IEC 31010 Risk Management - Risk assessment techniques
After completing this course, you'll be able to apply the best risk management tools and techniques to influence risk outcomes. And you’ll understand the skills you need to develop to prepare for your Risk Management micro-credential submission.
- Identify the risk processes and frameworks used in engineering.
- Identify the sources of risk, threats and opportunities that could influence outcomes.
- Use risk management tools to establish the risk context, identify risks, analyse risks and select and implement treatments.
- Establish systems and processes to manage changes during the lifecycle of a product, project or process operation.
- Determine the likelihood, consequences and treatment plans for dealing with common risks in engineering.
- Involve stakeholders throughout the risk process, including negotiation and communication.
- Understanding risk
- Risk management standards
- Legal requirements and governance
- Risk framework
- Risk process
- Risk tools and techniques
- Risk mitigation
- Communicating with stakeholders
This learning component is delivered through an on-demand, self-paced course.
You'll learn using a mix of practical case studies, quizzes and reading, audio and video materials. You'll also apply your knowledge in practice with a variety of assessment tasks.
- It will take approximately eight hours to complete.
- As it is self-paced, you can start anytime and save your progress as you finish each module.
Once you register for the micro-credential, you have 90 days to complete the learning component.
You’ll access this course through EngLearn, our digital learning platform. For best performance, please use the most recent major release of Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari. Read more about the current supported browsers on Canvas:
EngLearn is mobile-friendly, however desktop is preferred. Please read through the following information on mobile access via Canvas:
Jeff Jones FIEAust CPEng
Jeff Jones is a highly respected independent risk and assurance consultant. He works across project management, asset management and operations. With a Registered Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ) credential, Jeff brings an engineering perspective to risk, compliance and forecasting.
Jeff’s 30-year career in the oil and gas, mining and infrastructure industries is grounded in risk management. His expertise lies not only in aligning risk in engineering, but in undertaking risk analyses and then assisting with workshop facilitation, project reviews and audits.
As a facilitator, Jeff draws on his client-side and contractor experience in delivering enterprise and project risk management, from the highest levels of strategic thinking right through to detailed analysis and scrutiny.