Become proficient in Lean Six Sigma (LSS) to improve your organisational processes, and save time and money.
LSS is an internationally recognised work methodology.
This training is certified by the International Association of Six Sigma Certification (IASSC). After completing this course you'll be ready to sit the Green Belt exam.
LSS applies to all organisations, including engineering firms. It focuses on:
- eliminating process waste
- reducing variation by identifying root causes and defects
- efficiency and productivity improvement.
The LSS Green Belt five-day course will introduce you to tools and techniques to help you improve your business process and make data-based decisions. These form the Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control (DMIAC) process. You'll apply these tools to real-life examples and learn how to use the statistical data analysis package Sigma XL.
LSS Yellow Belt option
You can finish the first three days of this course and attain your LSS Yellow Belt proficiency. You must complete five full days to attain LSS Green Belt proficiency.
This course doesn't include the exam or certificate. Please contact IASSC for exam requirements.
Please register at least two weeks before the scheduled course start date.
- Understand the basics of LSS
- Tools and techniques for the full DMAIC process—Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control
- Select suitable projects
- Process mapping
- LSS data input and analysis
- Process hypothesis testing
- Process modelling
- Design, run and evaluate experiments to test solutions
- Sustain solutions using lean techniques and change-management principles
- Practice using Sigma XL
Is this course for you?
This course has been designed for engineers and related roles in engineering firms, including:
- human resources.
The course suits anyone who works with processes that require improvement.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Topics we'll cover
Day 1 - Define phase
- Understanding LSS
- LSS fundamentals
- Selecting projects suitable for LSS
- Elements of waste and how to remove them
Day 2 - Measure phase
- Process discovery (process mapping)
- LSS statistics and understanding data
- Measurement system analysis and gaining assurance in the quality of your data
- Process capability: how capable your process is and how much improvement it needs
Day 3 - Analyse phase
- 'X' sifting: how to determine which inputs are having the greatest impact on your process
- Inferential statistics—understanding what sample data is telling you about the population
- Introduction to hypothesis testing—proving or disproving the impact of a process input
- Hypothesis testing in detail in different data types
Day 4 - Improve phase
- Process modelling regression—creating a simple mathematical relationship between process inputs and outputs
- Advanced process modelling—creating complex mathematical relationships between process inputs and outputs
- How to effectively design an experiment to test your potential solutions
Day 5 - Control phase
- Advanced experiments
- Advanced capability analysis
- Lean controls: sustaining your solutions using lean techniques
- Defect controls and preventing defects from occurring, or managing their impact
- Statistical process control (monitoring your solution)
- Lean Six Sigma control plans and sustaining your solution using change-management principles
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
6. Identify, assess and manage risks
14. Problem analysis
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Ross Blaikie is a mechanical engineer with over 12 years' experience in organisational and learning development.
Ross has used his engineering and Six Sigma Black Belt skills to develop and implement a range of organisation development (OD), learning and development (L&D) and change management projects. He has managed the L&D function at AECOM in New South Wales, and more recently AECOM in the Middle East, where he worked on the development and delivery of learning solutions.
A highly skilled facilitator, presenter and trainer, Ross is passionate about helping people learn and gain greater satisfaction in their job.