As almost all construction projects involve contracts, poor contract management can cause significant problems.
This course introduces you to the specific characteristics of construction contracts. You'll learn about the complexities of managing risk, changes, and multiple stakeholders in a multi-tiered, long-term project.
Led by experienced legal professionals, this course shows you how to deal with typical issues arising under construction contracts, including:
- scope creep
- site conditions
- claims and dispute management.
The course also covers the Australian Standards for contracts (AS2124 and AS4000), with reference to recent case law interpretations of provisions or clauses.
After completing this course, you'll be able to:
- confidently read and interpret common construction contracts
- deal with typical issues
- know when and how to apply claims and clauses
- understand how to comply with Australian law.
We can customise this course for groups of six or more.
You choose the time, place, duration and format.
Find out how we can help you and your team by clicking on the button below to request a quote or calling us directly on +61 3 9321 1700.
- How to read and interpret common construction contracts
- Understand issues specific to construction contracts
- Manage common issues in construction contracts
- Know when and how to apply claims and clauses
- Understand Australian Standards for contracts
- Understand and be able to comply with Australian law
Is this course for you?
This course suits engineers and related professionals with five to eight years of experience. It's useful for:
- project managers
- contract and procurement professionals
- site staff
- those new to construction project teams or management.
Topics we'll cover
- Contract refresher
- What makes construction contracting so different and challenging?
- Construction disputes in Australia
- Recent construction case law
Common issues in construction contracts
- Latent conditions
- Payment (and security of payment legislation)
- Extensions of time
Other aspects of contract management
- Australian Standards
- Contract and project delivery models
- Claims management
- Dispute management
- Negotiation skills
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
1. Deal with ethical issues
6. Identify, assess and manage risks
7. Meet legal and regulatory requirements
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Margaret Andre specialises in contract law and is a senior lawyer with McCarthy Commercial and Construction Lawyers.
She has expertise in the building and construction sector, where she has advised and represented a wide range of parties on their rights, obligations and risk exposure under a contract. She has experience in dispute resolution of contract claims through mediation, adjudication, arbitration and court processes.
Margaret has extensive experience as an educator and aims to create an enthusiastic, collaborative learning environment by building on the skills and experience of course participants.
Sean McCarthy is a solicitor with extensive experience as a construction and general contracts advisor. He is also the Director of McCarthy Commercial and Construction Lawyers.
Sean worked in the building and construction industry for many years before completing his Master of Juris Doctor and transitioning to legal practice. As a lawyer, Sean has advised both government and private sector clients on a host of major projects and contract claims.
Sean is an active educator on construction matters. As a qualified training professional and experienced lawyer, he brings an enthusiastic and participative approach to his teaching.
Good relevant information in an area that is constantly changing and subject to adversarial issues when it goes wrong.
The explanation of topics with case studies helped to understand them much more.
Good to have a lawyer [as the facilitator] to explain contract management using real cases and examples.