Learn how to identify and mitigate key risks in your organisation’s procurement and tendering process.
Engineers who run projects must have sound skills when purchasing goods and services. You need to understand how to write tender briefs, create and renegotiate contracts, evaluate vendor performance and mitigate risks.
This course teaches you how to systematically predict and prepare for risks in the procurement process before they arise. It looks at procurement and tendering from the viewpoint of an engineer who needs to buy goods and services, run projects and vary contracts. You’ll learn about important laws that can affect a procurement contract, how to evaluate submissions, and how to write and interpret project specifications.
You’ll also cover key ways to protect your procurement processes and contracts against risks during a crisis.
After completing this course, you’ll understand:
- the procurement lifecycle
- the legalities of procurement, tendering and contracts
- how to select the best supplier response
- how to renegotiate contracts
- how to develop strategies to protect your business from the impact of a crisis.
Please register at least two weeks before the scheduled course start date.
We can customise this course for groups of six or more.
You choose the time, place, duration and format.
Find out how we can help you and your team by completing an enquiry form or calling us on +61 3 9321 1700.
- Describe the procurement lifecycle
- Use the contract lifecycle to save money
- Design effective performance criteria: SLAs and KPIs
- Evaluate key risks in bids
- Describe the key procurement risks the organisation faces
- Identify, assess and mitigate key legal, and financial risks
- Prepare strategies for successful negotiations
Is this course for you?
This course suits:
- those in the engineering profession who assist with the procurement of goods or services
- project managers who need to run projects involving contract variations.
The course has been updated to provide insights on how to deal with the impact of a crisis such as the COVID-19 pandemic. It suits both buyers and sellers.
There are some pre-course tasks to undertake. You're encouraged to read the welcome letter and complete the activities.
Topics we'll cover
- Background to contracting
- The procurement lifecycle
- Creating effective performance criteria: SLAs and KPIs
- Key procurement legal issues
- Selecting the best supplier response
- Evaluating risk in bids
- Monitoring and evaluating vendor performance
- Renegotiating contracts
- Action planning activity
- Strategies for dealing with a crisis
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
5. Engage with the relevant community and stakeholders
7. Meet legal and regulatory requirements
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Dr Cyril Jankoff has worked as a public accountant, CFO, solicitor, in-house counsel, country manager and business consultant in diverse industries for more than 30 years. He has bachelor’s degrees in law and accounting, an MBA and a doctorate in business improvement. His Doctoral thesis examined the business challenges facing organisations and how managers and owners can be trained using continuing professional development to mitigate these challenges.
Cyril is an international consultant and speaker in procurement, contracting and business improvement. He facilitates courses locally and internationally.