Influencing is a core skill for engineers stepping into leadership roles, especially when you're balancing competing stakeholder needs. This course will help you develop the skills to:
- shape opinion
- motivate people to achieve goals
- change behaviour in critical situations
- influence even you don't have formal authority
- build credibility.
Using engineering-specific case studies, you'll learn how to identify preferred learning styles with the 4-MAT Model, so you can tailor how you deliver information for greater impact. You'll also practice using the 5 Principles of Persuasion in your communication.
Taught by experienced facilitators from the leadership strategy and training specialists Lighthouse, this course will improve your ability to address project challenges through practical influencing techniques.
Please register at least two weeks before the scheduled course start date.
- Skills and techniques to influence others and build credibility
- Different styles of influencing - identify your authentic style
- How to engage and influence people and situations, including those where you have no formal authority
- How to change behaviour in critical work situations
- Overcome resistance and achieve the outcomes you want at work
- Adapt to different stakeholders
- Practice influencing in various organisational situations
Is this course for you?
This workshop is ideal for:
- engineering leaders responsible for delivering programs and projects
- managers who want to deliver in situations where they do not have formal authority
- prospective engineering leaders or project managers seeking a reliable, tools-based approach to influencing others.
You'll have tasks to complete before attending the course. This includes watching a video.
Topics we'll cover
- The basics of effective communication
- The art and science of influencing others
- Techniques for communicating and influencing with impact
- Adapting your style to different stakeholders
- Negotiating win-win outcomes
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
5. Engage with the relevant community and stakeholders
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Rod is a consultant trainer and coach with Lighthouse. Prior to this, he was the European Managing Director of a media sales consultancy generating approximately $150 million in annual sales for his clients, and has an extensive background in business management, leadership, and executive development. Rod’s passion is the creation of high-performing teams and cultures through effective leadership. He has been a key-note speaker, executive coach and consultant throughout Australasia, Europe, and North America.
Rod’s area of expertise is improving performance, motivation and skills in leadership, sales, and teamwork. He is quickly able to diagnose issues impeding goal achievement, and develop alternative courses of action. Because of his outstanding communication skills, Rod is often described as an inspiring leader. Whether it is as a training facilitator, executive coach, or keynote speaker, he knows how to work with, and bring the best out of, people. A hallmark of his customer satisfaction is the number of times he is invited back. He has working relationships with some clients stretching for over 10 years.
Challenged common misconceptions and behaviours. Practical tools and resources that can be easily implemented immediately back at work.
This course gets you outs of your zones and thinking differently about other perspectives.