Learn how to lead, engage and influence teams, clients and other leaders to overcome resistance and achieve successful outcomes.
Influencing is a core skill for engineers stepping into leadership roles, especially when you're balancing competing stakeholder needs. This course will help you develop the skills to:
- shape opinion
- motivate people to achieve goals
- change behaviour in critical situations
- influence even you don't have formal authority
- build credibility.
Using engineering-specific case studies, you'll learn how to identify preferred learning styles with the 4-MAT Model, so you can tailor how you deliver information for greater impact. You'll also practice using the 5 Principles of Persuasion in your communication.
Taught by experienced facilitators from the leadership strategy and training specialists Lighthouse, this course will improve your ability to address project challenges through practical influencing techniques.
- Skills and techniques to influence others and build credibility
- Different styles of influencing - identify your authentic style
- How to engage and influence people and situations, including those where you have no formal authority
- How to change behaviour in critical work situations
- Overcome resistance and achieve the outcomes you want at work
- Adapt to different stakeholders
- Practice influencing in various organisational situations
Is this course for you?
This workshop is ideal for:
- engineering leaders responsible for delivering programs and projects
- managers who want to deliver in situations where they do not have formal authority
- prospective engineering leaders or project managers seeking a reliable, tools-based approach to influencing others.
You'll have tasks to complete before attending the course. This includes watching a video.
Topics we'll cover
- The basics of effective communication
- The art and science of influencing others
- Techniques for communicating and influencing with impact
- Adapting your style to different stakeholders
- Negotiating win-win outcomes
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
5. Engage with the relevant community and stakeholders
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Brian Renwick FCA, MBA is an experienced senior business manager, and a facilitator and program Manager with The Lighthouse Group. He has a highly developed commercial acumen, with a unique combination of commercial skills and a strong finance background.
Brian has worked for leading organisations such as CSL Limited, Symbion Healthcare, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Sara Lee Corporation and PricewaterhouseCoopers. He also has senior management public company experience with Ascent Pharmaceuticals Limited and Advance Healthcare Group Limited.
Brian’s management style is based on strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach. He brings highly developed communication skills, a sharp commercial focus and a passion for lifelong learning to his training programs.
Challenged common misconceptions and behaviours. Practical tools and resources that can be easily implemented immediately back at work.
This course gets you outs of your zones and thinking differently about other perspectives.