Learn practical tools and techniques to present with confidence to all audiences.
As an engineer, you need to engage technical and non-technical audiences with confidence. This could be in workshops, client briefs, team meetings or at seminars.
After completing this course, you'll know how to:
- prepare and structure a clear presentation
- adjust your presentation to reflect group size, venue, and how you'll communicate with the group
- anticipate objections, alternative views and questions
- use performance tools such as body stance, stage presence and storytelling to deliver a presentation with greater impact
- manage your performance nerves by drawing on the techniques shared during the course.
You'll practice a series of mini-presentations on a topic of your choice during the course.
You'll get practical feedback on your presentation structure and presentation style from your fellow students and course facilitator. Your facilitator will also give you feedback on your performance skills, such as vocal tone and stage presence. You'll have the confidence to present with impact to get the outcome you want.
This course can be combined with Effective Communication and/or Negotiation Skills and Influencing Strategies courses for a comprehensive Communications workshop. Enquire now via the 'For Business' tab to find out more.
- Identify your key messages
- What makes a professional presentation
- Structure your presentation well - storytelling, beginnings and endings, and using metaphors
- Tailor your presentation to your audience, venue and medium
- Presenting with influence and impact
- Prepare slides
- Use physical performance skills - body stance and stage presence
- Answer questions with confidence
- Manage performance nerves
- The importance of preparation and practice
Is this course for you?
This course is for early-career engineers who would like to improve their presentation skills. It's particularly useful for:
- associate engineers
- graduate engineers
- project officers
- technical officers.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Chose a work-related presentation topic. You'll use this during the course to build a three-minute presentation.
Topics we'll cover
- Finding your concept - why you're presenting
- Structuring your presentation
- Meeting your audience's needs
- Persuading your audience
- Presenting to a small group - peer-to-peer feedback
- Presenting to the whole group - facilitator and group feedback
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Grace O’Malley has worked as a leadership, management and learning consultant for 10 years. She specialises in leadership management and facilitation.
She has worked with small NGOs, government, corporate and private businesses. She has experience in the health, engineering, vehicle, housing, community services and education sectors.
Grace uses a mix of realistic experiences and case studies to engage course participants.
Her formal qualifications include a Bachelor of Education, Diploma of Training and Assessment Systems, Certificate IV Training and Assessment, and an Advanced Diploma of Management.
Alison Jardie is a professional facilitator and coach, psychologist, and leadership expert.
She has more than 20 years’ experience working with groups and individuals in a learning and development context. This includes work across government and the private sector.
Alison has been responsible for leading large teams and organisational interventions. She has also designed and implemented successful, innovative and award-winning developmental programs.
Alison has a passion for people development. She focuses on implementing practical solutions and experiential learning activities that deliver measurable results.
The course was very informative and engaging. The instructor lead by example the entire time - she applied all her teachings while presenting to us.
I learnt techniques that will allow me to be more effective and result driven in my presentations.
The knowledge gained around how to construct a presentation and key takeaways like the 'big idea' and tricks to engaging the mind.